Sunday, July 8, 2012

This is What Autism Looks Like. : Kai's World

Reposted with permission from the author.  Original post at http://kaisworld.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/this-is-what-autism-looks-like/.

---

This is What Autism Looks Like. by Kai's World


Days ago rapper, 50 cent, responded to a fan’s comments via Twitter. He said, said fan “looked Autistic”, to quit following him and that he didn’t want any special ed kids following him.
Shortly after that actress and spokesperson, Holly Robinson Peete, wrote a response via her blog that pretty much called him out on his hateful words. Her response blew up within the autism community. Those affected by Autism were quick to offer their two sense on the issue at hand. I even posted some of my thoughts on Facebook and wanted to make a blog post about it and I’m finally getting around to it.
#thisiswhatautismlookslike became a trending topic on Twitter. I don’t know about you, but to me, Kai looks like every other neurotypical child. She has no defining facial features that scream Autistic. Most people wouldn’t even know she has Autism unless I said something.
This is Kai. She is five years old. She loves playing outside, swimming, Disney princesses, pretend play and most typical things of kids her age.
image
Kai also has Autism. Her Autism makes many things in her life difficult, but it does NOT make her look any different. Nor does it give others the right to make fun of her about it, especially someone as high profile as 50 cent.
My child is beautiful. She is happy and fun. She brings so much joy to my life and I will never let anyone bring her down. I will fight for her everyday of her life just like I would my other children.
Even though 50 cent will never see my blog, this is what Autism looks like. Autism looks like you and me and with 1 out of every 88 children being diagnosed, Autism affects more families now than ever before. Like most people I never thought I would be part of one of those families, but I am.
Autism doesn’t make my daughter less of a person nor does it make her less beautiful.

1 comment: